This page describes Yahoo's privacy practices with respect to your location information.
Collection of Information
To provide you with more relevant experiences, Yahoo may collect or derive your location, including:
- Pinpointed Physical Location
If you provide permission through your device, browser, or with Yahoo directly, Yahoo may obtain pinpointed physical location information from technologies like GPS, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or cell tower proximity.
- Content you provide
- Yahoo may collect location information from content you provide including attachments, photos, videos and other information
- Locations You Entered
- Yahoo may collect locations that you searched for in certain brands, websites, apps, advertising services, products, services or technologies (“Services”) (such as Search and Maps).
- You may be asked to provide a location such as postal code. Yahoo may use this information to provide a starting point for location-aware Services.
- IP Address
- Yahoo may use your IP address to derive information about where your device is generally located. Please refer to IP Address for more information.
- Yahoo may work with select partners to obtain location information about some of our registered users. For more information see Appended and Matched Data.
- Yahoo may receive location data from third parties that you have linked your account with. See Yahoo Privacy Controls for your options regarding your accounts for Yahoo products or Services.
Use of Information
Yahoo may access, store, and use the location information described above to provide Services such as: enhanced location based services, serve location-targeted advertising, search results, and other content. Yahoo may maintain a history of your locations. To Manage your Precise Location information, visit your Privacy Dashboard and Controls page, choose the Yahoo brand you are using, then select the “Precise Location Information” control under “Personalize Your Experience”.
Other uses of location information may include determining the appropriate language for presenting a website, conducting product analysis, and assisting in the detection of fraud and abuse.
Yahoo may classify your location as "Current" and/or "Favorite" locations. Visit our Location Help Page to learn more.
Sharing of Information
Yahoo and its affiliates may share the location information it receives among other Yahoo affiliates and any companies that become affiliates. Yahoo affiliates use the information consistent with their privacy policies.