California Personnel Privacy Notice
This California Personnel Privacy Notice (“Notice”) describes how Yahoo and its family of companies collect, use, and disclose human resources information in the context of our California operations (collectively, “Personal Information”).
We may also provide you a separate privacy notice on specific occasions when we are collecting, using, or disclosing personal information about you, so that you are aware of how and why we are using such information. We may update this Notice at any time. This Notice does not apply to the information subject to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, including information that our health plans collect. Such information is subject to our HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices, available on Benefits Connections.
Personal information we collect and use
We collect, store, and use various types of Personal Information. We collect this information through the application and recruitment process, during your relationship with us, or during the course of your or another individual’s employment with the Company. We collect information either directly from you or (where applicable) from another person or entity, such as an employment agency or consultancy, background check provider, or other referral sources.
The types of Personal Information we hold about you depends on your role with us and may include, where applicable:
- Identification and contact information and related identifiers, such as full name, date and place of birth, Social Security number, citizenship and permanent residence, home and business addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses.
- Professional or employment-related information, including:
- Recruitment, employment or engagement information, such as application forms and information included in a resume, cover letter or other information provided through the application or engagement process; copies of identification documents, such as driver’s licenses, passports and visas; and background screening results and references.
- Career information, such as job titles; work history; start and end dates; work locations; employment, service or engagement agreements or any other contract we have signed with you; appraisal and performance information; information about skills and qualifications, experience and preferences, and training; absence and leave records; professional memberships; disciplinary and grievance information; termination details; and other information you may provide in an interview or as part of our hiring application process.
- Financial information, such as salary, bank account details, payroll records and tax information.
- Business travel and expense information, such as travel itineraries, expense reports, and corporate credit card usage.
- Internet, electronic network, and device activity and device information and related identifiers, such as information about your use of Company network, information, and communication systems and concession devices, including user IDs, passwords, IP addresses, device IDs, web logs, audit trails of system access, call and text usage, email and text content, destination IP addresses, and location information.
- Audio or visual and security-related information, such as photos and CCTV footage, badge swipe data, as well as other information relating to the security of our premises.
- Location, such as your VPN location.
- Legally protected classification information, such as race/color, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, disability, marital status, citizenship status, veteran status, military service status or any other protected category under applicable law.
- Health-related information, such as disability status, health and safety incidents or accidents, sickness records, fitness evaluations for Yahoo gym memberships, and health issues requiring adaptations to your working environment or working practices.
- Information about your partner, spouse, beneficiaries and dependents, such as name, address, Social Security number, date of birth, and relationship status.
How we use personal Information
We use Personal Information for our and our services providers’ business purposes, which include, where applicable:
- Workforce recruitment, management and administration, including job advertising, interviewing, and selecting and hiring new staff, training, compensation, and benefits, approving and managing invoices and leave, scheduling, feedback surveys, career development, performance appraisals and recognition, diversity programs, investigating and resolving queries and complaints, providing references, succession planning, planning changes in organization structure, investigating and preventing fraud, ensuring you are paid and taxed correctly and preparing analyses and reports, and providing you with health benefits and wellness programs.
- Performance of business operations, including providing, managing, supporting, and improving information and communication systems (such as laptops, phones and corporate email, intranet, collaboration and storage systems) and processes; maintaining accounts and internal directories, crisis management, managing the environmental impacts associated with business operations; protecting and monitoring workforce occupational health and safety; participating in business-related due diligence activities; business succession planning; building algorithms to help with our internal processes; and conducting internal analyses, audits, research, and reports.
- Security, health, and safety management, such as to help ensure physical and network and information security (including detecting security incidents, debugging and repairing errors, and preventing unauthorized access to our computer and electronic communications systems and preventing malicious software distribution); monitoring and controlling access to company premises and locations; monitoring your use of our information, communications and collaboration systems to ensure compliance with Company policies; preventing data loss and corporate device management; and to ensure the health and safety of our employees.
- Legal compliance, such as complying with applicable legal and regulatory requirements and responding to and cooperating with legal or regulatory requests and investigations.
- Charitable and volunteer programs, including processing, tracking, and reporting of your charitable donations, volunteer work, and other such contributions.
- Workforce updates,such as communicating with our workforce about updates and other changes to any of the above (e.g., changes to benefits packages or security protocols); informing our workforce about perks, benefits and discounts, including those offered by Company our business partners; and notifying our workforce about updates and other changes to Company products and services.
Sharing of personal information
We will disclose Personal Information to the following types of entities (where applicable):
- Within Yahoo
We share Personal Information with people within Yahoo to carry out the purposes described in this Notice. This includes, as applicable, personnel within the Company such as management, human resources, payroll, IT, legal and finance.
- Outside Yahoo
- Vendors / Service Providers: We share Personal Information with service providers, such as compensation and benefits providers, tax and other professional advisors, technology service providers, corporate card issuers, travel management providers, transport providers, HR management and administration suppliers, background check companies, and employment businesses.
- Other disclosures: Generally, we share Personal Information other than as described above as follows:
- when required or authorized to do so by law, regulation, or court order;
- in response to a request for assistance by the police or other law enforcement agency;
- to process your charitable contributions and volunteer hours;
- to seek legal advice from our external lawyers or in connection with litigation with a third party;
- in connection with the sale, purchase, or merger of a business (provided appropriate contractual provisions are in place between companies);
- to protect our rights and property; or
- to provide another entity with a means of contacting you in the normal course of business, for example, by providing your business contact details.
How to contact us about this notice
Email us with any questions at Privacy-Inquiries@YahooInc.com